PBPC is the premier advocacy organization focused solely on working with policymakers and other stakeholders to advance both education and policy that helps position the plant-based products industry as leaders in innovation, addressing critical environmental imperatives and providing jobs and economic opportunity to communities across the U.S.
Some of our recent accomplishments include:
- Introduction of the COMPOST Act in the U.S. House and Senate. PBPC coordinates the US Composting Infrastructure Coalition (USCIC), which includes a range of stakeholders supporting expanded composting infrastructure. With PBPC’s federal advocacy support, USCIC developed the COMPOST Act, which would establish a USDA-led funding program for composting infrastructure, helping provide a circular path for compostable plant-based materials.
- Fighting for the recognition of bio-based product manufacturing. Working with key Administration, Congressional, and industry stakeholders, PBPC is advocating for the establishment of unique North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Codes for bio-based product manufacturing. NAICS codes would support more effective and accurate measurement of the economic impact of the growing plant-based products industry.
- Pressing for fair policy treatment of bio-based plastics. As the U.S. engages on international and foreign regulations that could impact bio-based plastics, including a potential UN-led global plastic pollution treaty, PBPC serves as an educational and policy resource. For example, PBPC briefed over 75 staff of USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service, Commerce Department, and others on bio-based plastics.
- Representing the interests of bio-based plastics within the US Plastics Pact. This voluntary effort of major companies, NGOs, universities, governments, and other stakeholders is aimed at advancing a more circular economy for plastics. PBPC joined the Pact as a founding activator and has since fought to ensure bio-based plastics are incorporated as a circular solution.
- Creating a more level playing field for plant-based products. PBPC engages on a number of fronts aimed at ensuring plant-based products are put on an equal footing with more traditional products. Efforts include advocating for federal research, tax legislation like the Renewable Chemicals Act, and policies and programs that help create a more level playing field for plant-based products and drive overall demand.
- Elevating the role of plant-based products at the UN Climate Change Conference as nations and other stakeholders identify global solutions to addressing our climate crisis.
- Consumer Research. In 2020, PBPC launched an annual survey aimed at improving our members’ understanding of consumer attitudes towards and knowledge of plant-based products. High-level results of the survey were made public, and more detailed findings are available only to members. The 2021 research results will be released in late 2021.
- “Setting the Record Straight” Blog Series. This blog series aims to address common misconceptions, clarify terminology, and provide easy-to-understand factual information about plant-based products.
- Plant-based Leaders. This blog series highlights PBPC members to showcase the fascinating work being done across the plant-based product space and identify leaders in driving the circular economy.
- Representational Opportunities. PBPC staff regularly participates in and offers to PBPC members opportunities to speak at webinars, conferences, policy meetings, and other events to elevate the profile of plant-based products.
PBPC members include businesses large and small, from across the globe, who are committed to advancing a more circular economy based on broader adoption of plant-based products.
To learn more about membership in the Plant Based Products Council visit https://pbpc.com/member-benefits/.
Download a PDF of PBPC’s Accomplishments.